Sunday, February 17, 2013

Diary of a Sugar-aholic

So I told you guys that it's now been a month of no processed sugar for me.  By no, I mean, none to extremely low, I check all labels when I buy things and make sure it's under 3 grams per serving.  I still have my fruit and things, natural sugar like that is ok with me.  I am the kind of person that has always loved sugar.  Not so much soda(thank goodness I never cared for it), but baked goods(I love to bake), chocolate, candy.  I just love sugar.  I would always have some kind of sugar, if not a few times a day, then at least after dinner. I always had my dessert.  Well I decided it was time for a change and I had to get it under control.  Do I still crave it?  Yea I would like to have some, and maybe after a while longer and I can let myself have some here and there, but for now I know I would have a huge sugar binge if I gave in now.  I've been very proud of myself because I've had extreme will power.  Especially when I was in Chicago and went to native cafe twice and both times did not give in to the tasty vegan desserts, no matter how delicious they looked!!!  I've missed sugar for sure and I feel like I'm still getting it out of my system, but it's getting better.  When I first gave it up I felt awful!! People say you should feel better, but I did NOT!  I didn't have energy, i was cranky, you know, you're usual withdrawal stuff.  It's gotten better but I could still use it sometimes.  As for replacements, well, if you know about this stuff you can probably guess.  CARBS!  Your body turns carbs into sugar and boy did I want to eat anything and everything carb related!  4 bowls of cheerios here, a bagel there, sheesh!  That wasn't exactly healthy either, but one evil in exchange for another I suppose.  My body is getting used to no sugar so it has backed off the carb overloading at least.  I still have some here and there but at least it's not 4 times a day!!!  So that's pretty much my journey through this so far.  Like I said, I hope to one day be able to have some sugar here or there as an indulgence thing, I don't want to miss out on all the good stuff of life, and I feel it's important to indulge every once and a while as long as it's just that.  I'm feeling proud and good about all of this.  I miss it, all the time, but the feeling of overpowering that craving and being stronger than it makes me happy and gives me hope that spills into other areas of my life.  It's a good feeling!  So if you're struggling with something, just know it's possible to overcome it!  You can do anything you put your mind to.  I'm living proof of that right now.  I know no one that knows me would have ever guessed I could give up sugar, especially for as long as I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment